Thursday 29 April 2010

Mmmm curry. Nothing betters you!


Indian cuisine has to be my favourite. Growing up in Wembley (one of the largest Indian communities in London), meant weekly visits to one of the many Indian restaurants in the area.

However, although I developed a palate for hot, fragrant curries at a young age, it was not until I visited India a year and a half ago that I really started to appreciate the art of Indian cooking.
The food I ate on this trip was the most delicious, memorable, and inspiring I have ever eaten, and as soon as I returned home, true, home-made Indian food started to make up for the majority of my diet.

Tonight I cooked two of my favourite Indian dishes;

Stuffed baby aubergine and potato
Black eyed bean curry

Black Eyed Bean Curry

Ingredients

2 tablespoons sunflower oil
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
pinch asafoetida powder
1 onion
1 table spoon ginger - garlic paste
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon coriander powder
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 tea spoon chilli powder
1 400g tin black eyed beans
3 large tomatoes
1 teaspoon Garam masala
1 teaspoon sugar

Method:

1. Add the sunflower oil to a heavy bottomed saucepan
2. Add the cumin seeds and leave to cook for around one minute before adding the onion and asafoetida.
3. Once the onion begins to brown stir through the ginger-garlic paste, coriander, turmeric, chilli powder and salt and leave to cook for a few minutes.
4. Add the black beans and chopped tomatoes, followed by the sugar and garam masala.
5. Place the lid on the saucepan and leave to simmer for 20 minutes.

Sprinkle with fresh coriander before serving

Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment