Once again I got carried away and removed the cake from its tin whilst still hot, so this lemony and pistachio polenta cake may not look the best but be assured, it is rather tasty!
Lemon & Pistachio Polenta Cake
140 grams vegan margarine (at room temperature)
140 grams golden caster sugar
150 ml coconut cream
juice of 1 lemon
rind of 2 lemons (finely grated)
50 grams ground pistachios
85 grams fine polenta
140 grams plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
juice of 2 lemons
140 grams icing sugar (sifted)
15 grams roughly chopped pistachios
1. Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Line a 18cm cake tin with baking paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, cream the margarine and sugar. On creamed add the coconut cream and lemon juice and stir once more.
3. Finally mix through the lemon zest, pistachio, polenta, flour and baking powder. Lightly beat the mixture until soft, creamy and slightly wet.
4. Transfer the mixture to the baking tin and place in the oven to cook for 50-55 minutes.
5. Whilst the cake is cooking prepare the icing by mixing the icing sugar and juice of two lemons.
6. Once the cake is cooked (springy to touch and slightly brown on top) leave to cool. Once cool transfer the cake onto a serving plate, pour on the lemon icing and top with chopped pistachios.
Enjoy with a cup of tea or spoonful of vanilla booja booja ice-cream.