I have had a head cold for the past two weeks now, and cannot seem to shake it off. So I decided it was about time I had a vitamin C overload in the form of a lightly spiced broccoli soup, topped with crisp roasted onions and served with basil and garlic ciabatta.
Broccoli & Roast Garlic Soup
w. basil ciabatta
Serves 2 hungry people
1 Head of Garlic
1/2 red onion (sliced)
1/2 red onion (finely chopped)
2 tbl spoons olive oil
1 chopped green chilli (seeds left in for a kick)
1 tsp cumin seeds
florets from 2 broccoli heads
1 litre vegetable stock (vegan friendly)
handful of basil
salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees C.
2. Place the whole head of garlic, sliced red onion and one tablespoon olive oil into a roasting tray and place in oven. Remove once the onions are crispy and garlic is soft.
3. Place a saucepan over a medium heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil.
4. One the oil is hot add the cumin seeds, cook for one minute before adding the finely chopped onion and green chilli.
5. Once the onion has softened, add the broccoli florets and vegetable stock, cover and leave to simmer for 15-20 minutes.
6. Once cooked, place the soup in a food processor along with 6 cloves of roasted garlic, basil, salt and pepper (be quite generous with the pepper) and blend until smooth and creamy in texture.
7. Decant the soup into large bowls and top with the crispy red onions.
Serve with toasted ciabatta; rubbed with the roasted garlic and drizzled with basil oil