Most non vegans would probably turn their nose up at the idea of pizza without cheese. However I have always preferred a pizza that has a really good tomato base and topping rather than one smothered in cheese.....but of you really cannot imagine a cheese-less pizza then why not make your own cashew nut cheese by blending soaked cashews, with a small amount of water, tahini and spices of your choice. Its delish!.
Grilled vegetable pizza w. a cashew nut cheese
300 grams strong bread flour
1 tsp instant yeast
1 tsp salt
200 ml warm water
1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Place the flour, yeast and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Add the water and oil and stir with a wooden spoon until evenly mixed.
3. Lightly flour a surface and kneed this mixture for 5 minutes. cover with a tea towl and set aside whilst making the topping.
2 table spoons olive oil
5 large tomatoes (chopped)
2 shallots (finely chopped)
1 red chilli (finely chopped)
3 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
5 sundried tomatoes (chopped)
2 sprigs rosemary
2 tea spoons thyme leaves
small handfull of basil (torn)
salt and pepper
1. Place a large pan over a medium heat and add the oil. Add the shallots, chili and garlic and allow to soften.
2. Add the rosemary and thyme and cook for another minute or so before adding the tomatoes and seasoning.
3. Allow the tomato mixture to reduce for around 5-10 minutes. Stir occasionally.
4. Finally add the sun dried tomatoes and basil, transfer to a food processor and blend until smooth.
1. Pre heat you oven to 240 degrees C.
2. On a lightly floured surface roll out your pizza dough.
3. Place the dough on a baking tray (a pizza tray is best). Spoon a generous layer of the tomato sauce onto the base and add topping of your choice. (I topped mine with grilled aubergine, peppers & courgette, basil oil and cashew nut 'cheese')
4. Place the pizza into the oven for 8-10 minutes.